Engineers Tackle Havoc Beneath Trade Center


On Friday afternoon in Midtown Manhattan, George J. Tamaro,
professional engineer, was holding court among conference tables
stacked with blueprints dense with threadlike lines. He was trying
to resurrect what had suddenly become a ghost world.

 As a staff engineer for the Port Authority in 1967, Mr. Tamaro
helped build the World Trade Center's basement, a 16-acre, 70-foot-
deep hole in the ground that until last Tuesday housed seven levels
of shopping, parking and, at the very bottom, the PATH train
station. Now he and others are concerned that debris from the
collapse of the twin towers might be the only thing supporting the
walls of that giant hole against the pressure of muck and water and
dirt on the outside.

 Attempts to dig out the basement without proper precautions, they
fear, could cause the walls to shift or rupture, leading to
flooding and the destabilization of nearby buildings.

 Mr. Tamaro said he had urged Fire Department officials not to
proceed with removing wreckage from the basement until engineers
had figured out how to do it safely. "The walls require lateral
support," he said. "You've got the Hudson River across the street."

 At the behest of the city's Department of Design and
Construction, Mr. Tamaro, an expert on foundations who is now a
partner at Mueser Rutledge Consulting Engineers, has turned his
office into a "below-grade command center" to provide rescue
workers and engineers with accurate information on the locations of
the myriad walls, passages, floors, and water, sewer, electrical,
telephone, gas, subway and train lines under the ruined plaza.

 He and his colleagues are working closely, he said, with the Fire
Department, the Port Authority and the Transit Authority, as well
as with engineers from the Thornton-Tomasetti Group, who are
advising the city on the condition of structures affected by the

 Mr. Tamaro was involved in building the foundations of all the
buildings at the trade center and the World Financial Center,
across the street. "I'm carrying around a mental picture, but
there's no piece of paper that has the whole project," he said.
"That's what we're putting together."

 He added, "It's a complicated site."

 Mr. Tamaro said it would be
some time before anybody could get a complete assessment of just
how bad conditions were underground. Two emergency hatches on West
Street that go down to the PATH tubes, which loop through the site,
are covered with rubble and possibly obliterated. But there are
hints of the havoc the engineers expect to find.

 Water, probably from fire hoses, rain and broken water pipes, is
flowing through the PATH tubes to New Jersey. There are 6 or 7
inches of water in the Exchange Place station in Jersey City, which
is just across the river and 20 feet lower than the trade center
station, said Daniel Hahn, a former Port Authority engineer who
works at Mueser Rutledge. He said the Port Authority was planning
to cork the tunnels at Exchange Place with a pair of giant concrete

 The plugs are necessary, Mr. Tamaro said, because if the trade
center basement were to flood, water could wind through the PATH
tubes back across the river to 34th Street and then go into the
subway. "That's not going to happen," he said flatly.

 Parts of two New York City subway lines, the 1 and the 9, have
collapsed from the north end of the complex ù where columns and
beams from 7 World Trade Center have punctured the street and
entered the subway ù to Liberty Street at the south end, according
to David Cacoilo, a Mueser Rutledge engineer who explored the
tunnels on Sunday. He added that the Cortland Street station of the
N and R lines, a block east on Church Street, was in good shape,
and trains could be running through it (although not stopping)
relatively soon. As if to emphasize the haphazard nature of the
catastrophe, Mr. Cacoilo and his colleagues were able to enter the
concourse of 5 World Trade Center and found that the floor and part
of the superstructure on its northeast corner had not yet

 Yesterday Mr. Tamaro said engineers were now planning to seal off
the 1 and 9 line with a bulkhead at the south end of the trade
center and sandbags to the north to contain water and any debris
generated by the recovery and demolition efforts. They are also
considering various strategies to shore up the streets over the
subway tunnels so they can safely support the heavy equipment
needed for the demolition of the trade center buildings.

 Water is an old problem for the trade center. The Hudson River
used to flow where it was built.

 When Europeans first laid eyes on what would be New York, the
eastern shore of the Hudson River ran along what is now Greenwich
Street, a block east of where the trade center towers would rise.
It was here that the Dutch explorer Adriaen Block sank his ship,
Tijger, in 1613, after it had burned. Part of that ship was found
during digging for the IRT subway line in 1916, and Mr. Tamaro said
engineers had hoped to find the rest of it during the excavation
for the trade center towers.

 What they dug up instead, he said, was garbage, animal carcasses,
leather shoes, bottles, cannonballs, oyster shells, timber and
other debris that had been dumped on the shore and used to extend
the shoreline west over 300 years, to the other side of what is now
West Street. Below that was river bottom, and below that was
glacial till ù gravel scooped up and left by the glaciers that once
covered New York ù and hardpan clay. About 75 feet below the ground
was mica schist, the bedrock that defines all Manhattan geology and
high-rise real estate.

 According to Dr. Christopher J. Schuberth, a professor at
Armstrong Atlantic State University is in Savannah, Georgia, who is
the author of a book on New York geology, mica schist is a hard,
unyielding rock, 700 million or 800 million years old, left over
from an ancient mountain range. The glaciers "tore the daylights
out of the rock," scooping it out in some spots and dumping gravel
in others, he said. The schist is closest to the surface in Midtown
and at the southern end of the island, making it easier to build
skyscrapers there, and deeper in other places, like Greenwich

 The present concern over the state of the basement arises from the
way Port Authority engineers got down to that bedrock for the
foundations of the two 110-story towers, the Marriott Hotel and 6
World Trade Center. To hold the river muck at bay and prevent
collapses of the unstable ground during excavation, the engineers
first dug a 3-foot-wide trench 70 feet deep ù all the way down to
bedrock ù around the entire 16-acre construction site. As each
22-foot- long section was being dug, it was filled with slurry, a
mixture of clay and liquid that can withstand the pressure of soil
trying to close the trench. Then a cage of reinforced steel was
dropped into the slurry and concrete pumped into the trench from
the bottom, pushing the slurry out the top, where it was captured
and used in the next section.

 It took a year, from March 1967 to March 1968, to complete what
Mr. Tamaro calls the bathtub, a waterproof wall more than 3,000
feet long encircling the oblong excavation site.

 To support this wall while the basement was being dug, bundles of
long steel rods known as tiebacks were drilled at a downward angle
through the wall and anchored in the surrounding bedrock. As the
bathtub deepened, tiebacks sprouted from its walls like wild carrot
tops, pre stretched so they would exert an outward pull on the

 The excavation proceeded around and even under two PATH train
tunnels that crossed the bathtub on the way to a station on Church
Street. "You could see the tubes hanging in the air," said Thomas
J. Glennon, a plumbing inspector at the site. That station was
subsequently demolished to become part of the site for 4 and 5
World Trade Center, and the tracks were rerouted to a new terminal
in the bottom of the basement. The excavated dirt, about 1.2
million cubic yards, was dumped in the river across the street to
create land for part of Battery Park City.

 Once the basement structure was done, Mr. Tamaro said, the
tiebacks were cut and their openings welded over with steel plate ù
partly because the basement floors were there to support the walls,
partly to avoid having a permanent part of the structure encroach
on other people's property, and partly because they serve as
conduits for river water. "Each one leaks water. They leak forever,
and it smells like hell," Mr. Tamaro said.

 But without the floors in place to provide lateral support, there
is a risk that the bathtub's walls could collapse inward if the
wreckage inside it is not removed carefully. "You can't just go
digging next to those walls," Mr. Tamaro warned. He said new
anchors might have to be installed as the debris was excavated. "We
have to stage our way down," he said, excavating a level, putting
in a row of anchors and then digging some more, not unlike the
process they went through 33 years ago to excavate the bathtub in
the first place.

 It will be harder this time around, he said. The drilling machine
for the anchors, for example, will have to do its work hanging down
over the lip of the hole rather than crawling along on solid
footing on the bottom of the excavation. Mr. Tamaro thinks it may
be possible to dig deeper in the center of the basement than along
the wall, as long as there is sufficient debris piled up along the
wall. But how much deeper will depend on the nature of the debris.

 He declined to make a precise estimate of how long this process
might take, except to say that it could be months, depending on how
much of the original structure is still intact.

 The condition of the bathtub wall is also unknown, according to
Mr. Tamaro. Despite some reports that rescue workers have reported
seeing leaks on the walls, he thinks there is unlikely to be much
water in the basement; if there were, he says, much more water
would be rushing over to New Jersey.

 Martha Huguet, a spokeswoman at Mueser Rutledge, said the firm had
not received any reports of leaks. Nor has the Port Authority,
according to a press spokesman there. Dr. Jeremy Isenberg of
Weidlinger Associates, an engineering company that worked on the
trade center complex, said a leak would not necessarily trigger a
catastrophic flood, but would create a problem of slow erosion that
would complicate the cleanup and excavation.

 . The bathtub wall is sturdy, Mr. Tamaro said. A bomb blast in
1993 took out two of the floors but the wall still held. The wall
has good deal of flexibility, he said, like a diaphragm.

 The truth is, though, "we have no sense of the condition of the
wall around the perimeter," Mr. Tamaro said.