Diversity and Inclusion Award
The Penn State Engineering Alumni Society Diversity and Inclusion Award recognizes a staff member who has demonstrated a commitment to the College of Engineering's goal of being a diverse and supportive community that provides a climate of sensitivity, open-mindedness, and respect.
The name of the award is the "PSEAS Diversity and Inclusion Award." A single award is presented annually. Each recipient receives $500 and a memento.
All full-time staff members who have worked for the College of Engineering for at least two years are eligible to receive this award.
Recipients must meet any of the following criteria:
- Helps to establish and promote a positive environment in the college that encourages and welcomes all types of diversity
- Displays genuine appreciation and sensitivity for the values and histories of other people
- Strives to learn from people whose backgrounds and experiences are different from his/her own
- Encourages respect for others' beliefs and traditions
Nominations may be initiated by Engineering staff, students, faculty, and administrators. Each nomination, however, must be submitted to the head of the candidate's academic or other unit for review prior to submission to the Dean's Office. Each unit may nominate only one employee for this award. Each nomination should consist of:
- a completed nomination form which includes specific examples detailing how the nominee embodies the spirit of the award;
- a one-page letter of nomination from the initiator;
- a maximum of three letters of support from College personnel, University personnel, students, alumni, and/or friends of the College;
- each support letter will be one page in length and will have one signature.
Selection will be made by a committee appointed by the Dean of Engineering. The committee will consist of PSEAS representatives and the Director of Alumni Relations.
Past recipients are ineligible for a period of five years.