Six Sigma is a highly disciplined process that puts sharp focus on developing and delivering near-perfect products and services. It has been used to shape both the strategy and operation of companies of all sizes and sectors. Six Sigma provides a framework for quality improvement and innovation that builds upon statistical tools to achieve results.
The Six Sigma minor is an 18-credit minor designed for any student who is interested in the Six Sigma statistical methodology. Students completing the minor should:
- be knowledgeable about why organizations use Six Sigma and how they apply its philosophy and goals
- gain experience with using the define, measure, analyze, improve, control (DMAIC) methodology for problem solving
- gain experience with using the define, measure, analyze, design, optimize, verify (DMADOV) methodology for new product innovation
- understand the links between customer requirements, product specifications, and process capability
- understand the theory and application of regression analysis, design of experiments, and statistical quality control
- be familiar with the project selection process including knowing when to use the Six Sigma methodology