College of Engineering's Policy Regarding Harassment

If you believe you have been subjected to harassment, you are afforded protection under the law. It is important to remember that you are not alone and that you do not have to solve adverse situations alone. If you are uncertain, have questions, would like more information, or have experiences with which you are unhappy, be sure to contact an adviser, supervisor, faculty, or staff member whom you trust. All interactions are confidential. Above all, remember that you have the power to act.

What You Can Do If You Have a Problem

The University is required through policy and law to provide resolution of harassment situations. Some problems can be handled individually and informally, while some require a formal complaint. It is important to understand the difference.

If you believe you have been harassed, you have several options:

  • Remember that you have the power to act and the right to tell anyone, verbally or in a factual letter, that their behavior is not welcome and you want it to stop immediately.
  • Document the incident(s).
  • Discuss the situation in confidence with a friend, colleague, instructor, supervisor, or any person whom you trust. (Discussing it with a friend can provide an important first step to understanding what is really happening; it is important, however, that if you feel you have a justified complaint, to go on to speak with a designated harassment adviser.)
  • Discuss the situation with one of the College of Engineering's harassment resource people in order to develop an action plan for resolution of the problem, and if appropriate, complete a harassment complaint form.
  • Do not decide that your problem is not important or that if you ignore it, it will go away. It probably won't.

The College of Engineering is a vigorous supporter of the resolutions included in University Policy Statement AD-41 on relationships between people of unequal status. If you believe you are a victim of any kind of harassment - whether sexual or racial - be sure to discuss the incident with College or University representatives who are trained to help.