Lean and Green Faculty on Sabbatical, August-December 2008.
- Lean and Green Director, Michael Horman, will be taking sabbatical in the fall 08. He will be traveling to Australia to investigate the delivery practices of Australia's sustainable building community.
Welcome New Graduate Students, September 2008.
- With the fall semester having commenced, the Lean and Green Research Initiative welcomes two new graduate students and the return of a third. Ashley Wisse joins our group from Syracuse University and will be working with Penn State's Office of Physical Plant (taking over from Leidy Klotz). Ashley will be working towards an M.S. Pelin Gultekin is joining us from Turkey and will be working in the area of process mapping. In addition, Elena Enache-Pommer returns having successfully completing her M.S. in May 2008, to complete her Ph.D. in the area of greening healthcare delivery.
Lean and Green Graduates Five in Class of '08, May-August 2008.
- In its busiest academic semester yet, five members of the Lean and Green graduated in the fall 08. Leidy Klotz whose dissertation is entitled "PROCESS TRANSPARENCY FOR SUSTAINABLE BUILDING DELIVERY" has now begun his position as an Assistant Professor in the Dept. of Civil Engineering, at Clemson University, Clemson, SC. Vivien Luo whose dissertation is entitled "DECISION SUPPORT FOR PREFABRICATION STRATEGY SELECTION ON BUILDING SYSTEMS" has taken up her position as an Assistant Professor in the Dept. of Civil Geomatics Engineering and Construction Management at Fresno State. Pete Dahl whose dissertation is entitled, "MANAGING END-USER FEEDBACK IN SUSTAINABLE PROJECT DELIVERY" has joined Sebesta Blomberg in Minneapolis, MN. Elena Enache-Pommer whose thesis is entitled "LEAN AND GREEN HEALTHCARE FACILITIES: IMPROVING THE DELIVERY PROCESS IN CHILDREN'S HOSPITALS has returned to Lean and Green to complete her Ph.D. Lastly, Claudia Torress Arriago whose thesis is entitled "A HYBRID PREFABRICATED/SITE-BUILT STRATEGY FOR LOW INCOME COMMUNITIES" is currently working in State College, PA.
New Graduate Students to Join Lean & Green, September 2006.
- Elena Enache-Pommer and Angela Lewis will be joining the Lean & Green Research Initiative in the fall of 2006. Both are highly capable students and will be excellent additions to our group.
Klotz Wins 2006 Juran Doctoral Award, April 2006.
- Leidy Klotz has been honored with a 2006 Juran Doctoral Award, which provides funding to stimulate doctoral student's thinking about quality principles early in their PhD careers. Penn State's Provost’s Office also provides a matching funding for Juran Doctoral Award recipients from Penn State. As a member of the Lean and Green Research Initiative, Klotz helps conduct research and education to improve the delivery of high performance sustainable buildings. His winning proposal, “Continuously Improving Green Buildings: Using Quality Principles to Identify Valuable Green Building Delivery Process Features,” describes the research he is conducting with Penn State’s Office of Physical Plant.
14th Annual PACE Research Seminar, April 18-19, 2006, Penn Stater Conference Center, State College, PA
- Feature presentations by Lean & Green researchers
Greening Healthcare Facilities Roundtable Report Released, February 2006.
- Documenting the 2-1/2 day roundtable that brought together key representatives from healthcare providers, facility design and construction firms, academics, and other healthcare interests, this report captures the vital issues facing the greening of healthcare facilities. For more details go to the roundtable website.
NSF awards CAREER Grant to Lean & Green Research Initiative Faculty, February, 2006.
- In an exciting accomplishment, the National Science Foundation awarded to Lean & Green Research Initiative Director, Michael Horman, one of its highly prestigious CAREER grant. Horman's award was for his proposal entitled "Lean & Green - Developing High Performance Processes for High Performance Buildings."
Launch of New Lean & Green Research Initiative website, February, 2006.
- "This new website reflects the growing strength of our initiative," says director Michael Horman. "Researchers, educators, current and prospective graduate students will be able to find out what we are doing, who we are working with, and the events in which we are involved.
New Lean & Green Research Initiative identity released, February, 2006.
- Lean & Green released its new logo. As the Lean & Green Research Initiative moves from establishment mode to accomplishment and delivery modes, a new identity was needed. Visit Lean & Green online at www.leanandgreen.org.
NSF awards Engineering Education Grant to Lean & Green Research Initiative Faculty, January, 2006.
- Penn State Director of the Center for Sustainability and Lean & Green Research Initiative Faculty, David Riley was awarded an NSF Engineering Education grant.
Lean & Green Research Initiative Graduates Two Students, December 17, 2005, Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
- Chris Magent (Ph.D.) and Nevienne Harding (M.S.)
Ecobuild FEDERAL, December 13-16, 2005, Washington Convention Center, Washington DC
- Visit the Lean & Green booth, #242
Greening Healthcare Facilities Roundtable, October 26-28, 2005, Doubletree Hotel, Pittsburgh, PA
- Hosted by Lean & Green in partnership with UPMC
Penn State OPP Partners w/ Lean & Green & Joins PACE, August 2005
- Research project to focus on mapping the project delivery process used by OPP and weaving with OPP's current CQI program